Special Educational Needs & Disability

Many children, at some point in their primary school years, experience a time when they require additional support to enable them to make progress in their learning. For some children, this can be a permanent need. We are very proud of the provision in Bolton Primary School for children who require extra support, and the progress made by all children is clear evidence to support this. Miss Jorysz (our Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator) maintains excellent links with external professionals and agencies to support the provision in school where required. We also have close links with local secondary schools to ensure that the transition process for all children is highy positive.

If you ever have concerns or questions about your child’s progress or welfare, please do not hesitate to speak with their classteacher.

Please see our SEND Policy below and the link to the Cumbria’s Local Offer website. We are currently updating our policy to reflect recent changes, and this will contain all required information relating to the Local Offer (Section 69 of the Children and Families Act 2014). However, please do not hesitate to contact the school at any time if you have any questions about our SEND provision.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child's Special Educational Needs?

You can speak to your child’s teacher, Miss Jorysz, who has an overview of special educational needs in school (SENCO) or Mrs Elstone, the head teacher.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in this school?

Children’s needs may be supported in a number of ways:

  • Differentiated work within classroom lessons
  • Small group supported work, in class or in a different setting
  • 1:1 sessions out of the classroom

How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between different levels of support?

Support is allocated to children according to their needs. A short intervention programme, over a specific number of sessions, may be used or a longer term regular pattern of support.

Regular reviews of the child’s progress and needs with staff, families and child will be held to decide whether the level of support offered is appropriate.

How are the teachers in school supported to work with children who have SEND and what training do they have?

There are members of staff who have qualifications in reading intervention, maths recovery and Elklan (speech and language support). Others have attended training to support children on the Autistic spectrum. They are supported by specialists from the Local Authority, offering specific advice to meet the needs of the child.

What support do you have for families of a child with SEND?

School staff are available to support families or suggest where support is availble from outside the school. There is a governor with responsibility for SEND, Jenny Hall, who as a parent of a child with SEND is able to share her knowledge and experience with families.

How will you support my child when they are leaving this school or moving to another year?

When your child is nearing the end of their primary education we have good links with all the secondary schools in the area. We have the opportunity to meet with staff and discuss individual children. For children with an Educational Health Care Plan a member of staff from the school the child is transferring to will be invited to the annual review meeting.
We have an established transition programme in place which helps the child prepare for the move and may include a number of supported visits to the new school.

How will you measure the progress of my child in school?

A child requiring support will have an Individual Education Plan, which outlines specific measurable targets. These IEPs are reviewed regularly. If the intervention offered is a specific programme, eg reading intervention, an assessment is carried out at the beginning and end to measure progress. Ongoing classroom assessment with the addition of PIVATS (performance indicators for value added target setting) can also be used.

How have you made the school accessible to children with SEND?

The school has entrances suitable for a wheelchair user and access to all classrooms is possible. We do not currently have toilet facilities for disabled users but recognise our resposibility for providing this when required.

How will teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs?

Each class teacher, with support from the SENCO and LA specialist teachers, will have responsibility to make any adaptions needed for your child to access the full curriculum. Should a supply teacher be needed, they will be informed of your child’s learning needs.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

We have access to the Educational Psychology Service, specialist teacher service offered by the LA and speech therapists. We also access other services, as appropriate, to meet the needs of all our children.

How can I let the school know if I have concerns about my child's progress?

You may call in, or phone, to school to speak to the class teacher any time you have concerns

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning at school?

If your class teacher has any concerns about your child,s progress they may speak to you by phone or ask you to meet them. We have regular informal contact with families at this school

SEND Policy

Cumbria’s Local Offer