Home Page

Bolton Primary School

Caring - Inspiring - Enjoying - Excelling


SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities)

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


SENCO - Heather Lowthian (Sept 2020)

Monitoring Governor: Lisa Wilson (Since Sept 2020)


We believe that all our children are entitled to have equal access to all the experiences provided by our school, all our children are entitled to experience our broad and balanced curriculum, and all our children should be given the opportunity to develop to their full potential. To achieve this, a need for extra support may arise because of social, development or educational factors or because a child may be exceptionally gifted. Therefore we have developed the following aims:

  • We aim to identify children with Special Educational Needs as early as possible
  • We aim to plan, implement and monitor the provision of Special Educational Needs through a partnership with parents and staff and consultation with external agencies and governors.
  • We aim to fulfil Special Educational Needs in a caring, supportive atmosphere that promotes learning.

Our school is ideally suited to children with Special Educational Needs of whatever kind.

As a small school we know all our children as individuals and this offers great benefits. Individual needs will be accommodated for as they arise.

See below for our SEN policy. 

From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)


This includes the 'Local Offer', which helps parents and carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.  It should help them understand the SEND system and how the local authority, local area and the school will support both the child and family.


You can read details of our special needs provision and local offer below.


Bolton Primary School

SEND Information Report


This document is intended to give general information regarding the ways in which we support our pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.


What is classed as a special educational need or disability? (SEND)

‘Pupils have special educational needs if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. (SEND Code of Practice: 0-25; 2015)

  • Children have a learning difficulty or disability if they have significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.
  • Special educational provision means educational provision which is additional to, or otherwise different from, the educational provision made generally for others of the same age in the mainstream setting in England.


Any child who is making significantly slower progress than their peers or may need special provision to access the curriculum in any of the following areas is deemed as having a special educational need.

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning difficulties
  • Social emotional and mental health
  • Sensory and/or physical needs


How do we identify when a child has a Special Educational need?

We aim to identify additional needs early and make effective provision quickly, realising that additional needs may become apparent at any time in a child’s school life.


Your child’s progress is monitored throughout their time at school and support plans are put in place if children do not make expected progress.


Additional support may be triggered when children are making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances and where the child:

  • is making progress significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • Fails to match or better the child’s previous rate of progress
  • Fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers or widens the attainment gap.


Some children will make good progress, following intervention, and can be taken of the SEND register.


If my child is identified as having a SEND, how are they supported in school?




At Bolton the majority of children will have their needs met through normal classroom arrangements and careful target setting. All staff members work hard to ensure that lessons include a range of tasks and ways of working accessible to all pupils.


Where appropriate, children may be supported by an additional adult such as a teaching assistant which could include:

  • In class support across the curriculum
  • Small group interventions
  • 1:1 withdrawn support work
  • Social skills groups
  • Behaviour, emotional, social development projects
  • Specific intervention programmes


Through the school’s tracking system, the progress made by children is regularly monitored and reviewed by all staff and regular communication is maintained with parents.

Additional support will be monitored and reviewed through an Individual Education Plan (IEP), which is shared with all staff in school, parents and carers and the child. This IEP will list support and show the targets each pupil is working towards.


All IEPs will be reviewed termly to enable a judgement to be made about its effectiveness. All review outcomes will be recorded and shared with parents and the child.


We have staff in school who are trained to provide:

  • Reading Intervention when children are identified as having fallen behind their peer group in reading and writing.
  • Maths Recovery Programme for young children with difficulties in maths
  • ELKAN – programme to help children with communication and interaction difficulties
  • Autism awareness training


All staff have received safeguarding training and take part in an ongoing training programme


What specialist services and expertise are available?


If we have evidence that a child is making insufficient progress, despite support, then we may seek further advice from external specialists in the Local Authority, including:

  • specialist teachers,
  • educational psychologists
  • health professionals.
  • other external agencies


Parents and children will be kept fully involved and informed about any proposed interventions.


The range of support for children following intervention will be similar, but will reflect the advice given and may be necessarily more intensive.


Educational Health Care plans (EHCP) may be requested by school or parents if it is felt that the child is still not making the expected progress. The process for requesting an EHCP in Cumbria can be found on the Council’s Local Offer website:


Children with an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) will in addition to the on- going review of their progress and specific support through their IEP, be reviewed annually. A report containing recommendations will be provided for the Local Authority which will consider whether to maintain, amend or cease the EHCP


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

We are committed to helping all children to stay safe and healthy and enjoy their time at school, and to help them to grow into mature and caring young people who make a positive contribution to the school and the wider community. All staff work together to provide additional support for pupils with identified behavioural, emotional and social needs. They also refer to other agencies for pupil and family support. 


Young people are encouraged to contribute their views on school life. All pupils can give their views to the School Council via their representatives.


A wide range of external agencies advise and support teachers at Bolton to devise a range of tasks and methods of working to support all pupils.


Access to medical interventions will be supported on an individual basis, with an appropriate Individual Health Plan being produced and supported by Health Care Professionals.


Who is responsible for ensuring that my child is supported?

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) is responsible for the operational management of the specified and agreed resources for special needs provision within school, including the provision for children currently with Educational Health Care Plans.

The Head and SENDCo meet regularly to agree how to use funds and the Governing Body is informed how the funding allocated to support special educational needs has been employed.


The person with responsibility for coordinating special educational needs within the school is Heather Lowthian. Lisa Wilson is the named Governor with specific responsibility for SEND provision within the school.


How are parents involved?

How will I know how well my child is doing?

Class teachers work closely with parents throughout their child’s education. Parents should in the first instance contact the class teacher in case of any concern. At all stages of the SEND process the school keeps parents fully informed and involved. We take account of the wishes, feeling and knowledge of parents and encourage them to make an active contribution to their child’s education.


You will receive regular reports and be invited to attend meetings to discuss your child’s progress.


The support your child receives will be outlined in an Individual Education Plan which will be reviewed termly. This IEP will list support and show the targets your child is working towards. Parents and carers will also be informed when any new arrangements are put in place.


How will my child be able to contribute his or her views?

Children with SEND are encouraged to share their views about what sort of help they would like.


Staff share the Support Plan targets with the child and they are encouraged to contribute to the assessment of their needs. They have the opportunity to contribute to the review of their current IEP/Support Plan and reflect on the next steps.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

Bolton Primary School aims to allocate resources appropriately to meet the needs of all children with special educational needs.

  • Children who have Educational Health Care Plans will be provided with support using the designated budget as highlighted in their plan.
  • For children receiving support at a school level based on their progress and needs, we will look at the areas of need and how we can provide support for this, using resources available within school.
  • The school has financial responsibility to provide the first £6,000 worth of support. This is often provided through teaching assistants who are directed to support the needs of specific pupils or wider groups as required.
  • The budget is discussed and agreed by the Governing Body as part of the annual budget setting process.


What provision is made for children with special educational needs to take part in activities outside the statutory curriculum?

The school has a wide range of extra-curricular activities available to all children. These include:

  • Sport activities and teams
  • School productions and theatre trips
  • Choir and instrumental lessons
  • Field trips to enhance learning
  • After school clubs


We try to ensure that all children with SEND can take part in these activities, making adjustments if needed, perhaps to equipment.


The school provides the opportunities for all pupils to go on trips and an annual residential is organized for year 4, 5 and 6 pupils. Pupil’s individual needs will be identified and with the family’s involvement we will decide how best to meet their needs.


How accessible is the school environment?

The school building is wheelchair accessible.


When your child first joins the school, we will ask you to let us know of any access arrangements you or family members have.


At present, we have no special facilities for children with physical difficulties, disabled toilet or shower but should the need arise we would wish to make such provision, in accordance with the school’s Single Equality Scheme.


Where possible, we will try to communicate via a translator from the local community/LA when English is not a first language.


How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school or transfer to another school or the next stage of education and life?

Bolton Primary School works closely with Bolton Nursery to ensure a good transition. Nursery children spend time in school before they start reception allowing staff to get to know your child well. We have a well-established programme of induction for parents of reception children. If a child has been identified as having SEND before they enter school, regular meetings are held with all agencies involved with the child.


Collaborative work between receiving secondary schools, Appleby Grammar School, Ullswater Community College and Queen Elizabeth Grammar School is in place, to ensure that effective arrangements are available to support students at the time of transfer. This usually takes place in the summer term for Year 6 students or sooner if necessary.


If a child with SEND moves to another school contact will be made with the new school to discuss the child’s needs. All documents (EHCP, IEP’s/Support Plans, reports from outside agencies etc) will be forwarded to the child’s new school.


If a child with SEND joins the school contact will be made with their previous school to discuss their needs and ensure appropriate support is in place.


Who do I contact if I have any problems or issues?

For any question or query about your child, your first contact would be with your child’s class teacher. However, complaints by a parent of a child who receives SEND provision could be made to the head, class teacher, SENDCO or SEND Governor in discussion, by letter or telephone. The nature of the complaint will be noted within ten working days either a resolution offered, or a meeting will be convened to discuss an agreed way forward.


Local Authorities must make disagreement resolution services available to parents and young people. When parents disagree with the local authority, they must make known to the parents the possibility of resolving disagreements across education, health and social care through disagreement resolution and mediation procedures. These are made known to parents and young people through the local authority’s information, advice and support service.


The contact details of support services for the parents of pupils with SEND

Help is available beyond the school:


Cumbria’s Local Offer -


contact a Family helpline and online resources –


The Local Authority have a Parent Care Forum as part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF) –


SENDirect web portal for CYP and families –



Date of next review Spring 2023







Two of our teaching assistants trained during the summer (2022) and are now Emotional Literacy Support Assistants. Which means that we can offer small group support on themes like managing emotions, relationships, self-esteem and confidence. We also offer lego-therapy as part of this work. We believe that addressing social and emotional needs are a key to school success and are keen to support the whole child.